6 October 2011

Thimble 73 - The Peace Sign

...
The "Peace Sign"has a very interesting story behind it. It was designed by an artist named Gerald Holtom, in 1958. He made it for a march in London, against Nuclear Weapon Research. So what is the symbol? It's two letters of the alphabet, in semaphore:

N


and


D




for
Nuclear Disarmament

Holtom superimposed the two shapes and then tidied them up by putting them in a circle. The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) adapted Holtom's designs to make it into a lapel badge.


2 comments:

  1. Is there any chance that I can use the above peace graphic on a t-shirt for my County girl Scouts? I will be adding text to it for our county. I am not one to steal graphics without giving proper credit. And I don't know if this is copyrighted or available for us to use. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi nooffbutton

    The photos I use on my blogs are either my own or from free share places. I found this symbol here: http://www.morguefile.com/archive/display/692424

    the email for the photographer is here:

    http://www.morguefile.com/creative/cbcs

    :-) Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.


Can one everyday person really make a difference and change the world? Isn't that a bit like trying to empty the ocean with a thimble?

Maybe... but what if you got everyone to help you?
What if we bailed with a billion thimbles?

These are my Thimblefuls for Peace... I hope they make you think.